Tuesday 22 January 2013

Inspiration From Our Family...

Hiya Everyone!

First of all, I am shocked at the attention our little blog has garnered. No, really... Thanks for reading and giving your feedback. Andy was blown away, but cleverly noted that he's a pretty popular guy (massssive eyeroll) and I am still gawking at the numbers.

Onto the blog!

I got this tweet (follow me @ModenMUA), it said spend more time planning your marriage than your wedding - Michael C. And let me tell you, we sure are.

Sometime in the few minutes last week that I took to decide my likes and dislikes and throw out random wedding wishes and wants to my mother and Anderson, I remembered my grandparent's photos. I love anything sentimental and heartwarming, it just sucks me in. So I decided to take inspiration for our wedding from their wedding day.
Mr & Mrs. Harold & Dora Aboab circa 1958/59.

Nana and Grandad have been together for over 60 years and married for over 50. They always say marriage is a a tough road, but worthwhile. Put God first, talk to each other and listen are their top 3 nuggets of advice for newly engaged and newlywed couples ALL THE TIME! They survived a long distance relationship for YEARS, and when they were reunited, they had long work hours which kept them apart. They lived in England during a time when racism was rife, jobs were hard to come by, and not paying much, yet they never suffered, or went hungry or cold and they struggled along together.

Even for their wedding day. They lacked nothing! Nana is into taking you back to her past so almost every day she recounts the life she enjoyed and sometimes endured, but the one constant is her husband, and she is so proud of  the family they built together. Her wedding plans were no different. Nana and Grandad decided what type of wedding they wanted, who they wanted there, where and how they were going to pay for it. And they did it. They had EVERYTHING they wanted. Except for one thing, their mothers to witness it. It was difficult planning a wedding, looking after my Mum and both of them had full time jobs (Grandad had two at the time). But looking at their wedding photos it's obvious that they enjoyed it and so did their guests. Know why? It was planned by them, and embodied THEM. It was truly personalised because they injected their happiness and contentment and love for each other into their Wedding Day, my grandparents are very detail oriented and it shows in their Wedding Photos and ultimately their marriage. It's the little things that count.

Nana & Grandad cut the cake. No cake smashing here! They kept it classy! 

Even so, they had a reception hall, wid nuff nufffff food, drinks. Nana's maid of honour was her bf, and my mum was a bridesmaid. She had quite a large bridal party. Oh and Nana's dress was BEAUTIFUL & LACY!! She and Grandad paid cash for everything from the undergarments to the car, to the food to the bridal party attire (EVERYBODY'S CLOTHES? THEY PAID FOR guys!!) to the Priest. They covered it all and I applaud them, know why? They were frugal and CONTENT but my grandparents ain't cheap!!! They had a big old car for their wedding chile and it was rented. Renting a car? that was unheard of back then unless someone had died! So dem was doing big tings in the 50's honey.

And Andy's parents! They have been married for 30+ years and are still going strong, they have raised three children, enjoy different things, but after work they come home together. They struggled along together and one thing enormously valuable thing that I take from them is their ability to support each other, even if they have a difference of opinion. And they sure love talking to each other, and everybody else, I too love them!

Andy's extended family, (uncles and aunts)  as well as his brothers are the same. They spend time with their spouses. Take trips together, plan day to day living instead of arguing it out. They are very in tune with their partners and it's great to have these examples.

Our friends are the same, Andy and I have attended together easily over 20 weddings in the 5 years we've been a couple. Andy has been a groomsman in about 15 and Best Man in 3 that I can recall off the top of my head (real ting) all of our married friends are affectionate and kind to one another, their wedding days were a reflection of that, and now so are their marriages. I'm sure by no means is marriage easy, but it can work. As my boy NeYo says, we GOTTA MAKE IT WORK!!

I guess what I'm saying is that Andy and I have set that precedent. We are involving our families (in small, meaningful ways, no hostile takeovers HERE!) we will have a wonderful day, everything won't turn out as planned, everyone we want to be there can't be. But just like we have been in our relationship, and want to be in our marriage we will be on our Wedding Day, grateful to God, happy to have made it, and content with what we have!

Inspiration this Week: 

I have NO idea what kind of dress I want. And that's me all day everyday. I have a style that is ALL Heidi and my dress must reflect that. I want simple, no lotta lotta frou frou lookin like a deranged ballerina. I want my hair pulled back, makeup simple and natural with a pop of colour and my shoes? Sky High and platform baby.

If you want to get a good idea of what i'm/we're going for, check out my Pinterest Profile. I have a Wedding/ Inspiration Board on there. For now, here are my photos for this week !

Comfort is the name of the game -Glenda Aboab ( I love pockets in formalish dresses, so something like this but more jazzed up would be a go for the Bridesmaids for me!) 

Bold and trendy, I love to mix MAC 's Nightmoth/ Currant Lip Liner with Ruby Woo or Deeply Adored to get this look. And the eyes are just smoky enough.

I <3 this photo!! My dad passed away, so I won't have this on my day :'(, but I know he'd  be so proud! He liked Andy alot!

See? no matter what happens even if it rains, we'll be married and happy!  (it was a monsoon!) 

The shape of this dress caught my eye! But I am not sure about the strapless...

No better place to say I do to my best friend  and #1 fan FO LIFE!

Now if Andy would let me get a pug, he'd do this! Not in my church tho, de people would guh mad! And I'd name him George or Mugsy.

My engagement ring looks like the square one, but  I want my wedding ring to look like my engagement ring, not have an attachment, what do you all think?

Love this half up half down concept... thoughts? 

I'd def pin in the loose ends and spritz the fly aways, but this is a great look!  Really easy and sophisticated! 

That's it! Until next week!!

Love,
Heidi xoxo



1 comment:

  1. Your grandparents are great inspiration!
    Love the Pockets in formal dresses! :)
    love the sophisticated and elegant bun

    ReplyDelete